RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in criminal and various other areas of law.

I have recently been talking to a girl i met on a dating

Customer Question

hi i have recently been talking to a girl i met on a dating site from ghana agona swedru she says her name is ***** ***** she talks to me on skype text no camera contact yet i haven't asked to she did send me 2 pics but not flashy model like she does want to talk on the phone and gave me her no' 233576040519 she also does not talk to me after her bedtime which is 10:30 pm her time we have had long text talks but she hasn't asked for money yet but says she would move to canada with me should i be concerned and what should i ask her to confirm she is real i was gonna ask her to send me a picture of her holding up a sign with the days date ........maybe i'm on the path to a scam also she is 20 yrs younger than me
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to helping you tonight.

Since there are a number of scammers out there and they are constantly using different names and pictures (many of them taken right off of social media) you don't really want to go by the name, because as you've likely discovered, there are dozens and dozens of sites with people reporting names of scammers and hundreds, if not thousands of names if you were to take the time to go through each one individually. So, you want to look at the circumstances.

Ghana is a well known area for romance scams. So that right there is a warning sign, though not necessarily conclusive, of course. But there are usually traits that all of these scammers have in common:

They usually ask immediate questions about your experience with internet dating hoping to find you're unaware of romance scammers. They are also interested in your financial status but can be very subtle with their inquiries.

They begin the process of engaging you in a 'relationship' with the intent and promise of marriage. They fall for you quickly-weeks or couple of months. They steer you off the dating site to instant messenger chat services or text messaging.

The male scammers pretend to be financially well off and usually widowed with children (to inspire a woman's compassion and empathy). Female scammers are usually young, sexy and needy. Pictures are typically of attractive white women. Again, thanks to the internet, it's easy to grabs someone's picture and say it is you.

You may notice that they tell you very little about themselves, especially their past, like childhood, education and employment history, or they will claim to be from America, or lived or worked in the United States for years, but their grammar is terrible. They may also, because they often are speaking to several different people at once (and sometimes, scammers work together to fool people) may get your name wrong, or refer to you by the wrong gender.

When they believe you are sufficiently hooked (in love with them) they then conjure a disaster of some sort that only financial aid can resolve. This can be the hardest part of the scam to accept as false because many scammers are very subtle with their money requests. Some never even ask their victims but wait for their victims to offer. And there are literally hundreds of different situations in which the scammers ask for money -for a plane ticket to come visit you, because they have to pay a fee to get a Visa, because their country has a tax to get out of the country, because they have a sick relative, because they were arrested, etc. Interestingly enough, they'll have relatives that are wealthy, but can't go to them for financial support. Or they have trouble leaving the country, but don't go to the embassy.

They provide you with options for sending money, usually to a contact of theirs, by Western Union, Money Gram or bank transfer. Sometimes they have fake cashiers checks sent to their victims and ask that the victim cash it and send them the money. Wired funds are especially a favorite because wired money cannot be traced. The money they receive NEVER resolves the crisis. They will always need more.

They keep the victim sending money until the victim stops. If the victim stops because they became aware they were scammed, the scammer will then come back pretending to be a new person, usually in law enforcement, offering to help the victim recover their money. This is called a "recovery scam".

They also have access to pre-recorded stolen web-cam sessions to fool you and can easily obtain American and UK phone numbers that forward their calls to Africa. Many will have token gifts sent to you and many can also fake accents, but usually they claim to be mixed nationality to explain their own.

"She" --if it's really a she --is likely just baiting you. As much as I don't believe everyone in Ghana to be a criminal, I've never known one of these "relationships" to work out. Even if she agrees to Skype with you, what does that prove? It proves they are a person with access to Skype. Doesn't prove identity, which is likely stolen off social media. I've even seen people forge fake passports and other identification and pass them off as real.

She hasn't asked for money yet, but I think it's coming. At this point, I would at least have your guard up, as you do, and not agree to send any money, don't buy a plane ticket or anything like that. Don't agree to cash a check, etc. Be smart, because her story sounds a lot like every other romance scam.

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification
about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

I see that you have not left a positive rating for me yet. Was there something I could clarify for you or additional information I can provide you? Just let me know, as I am here to help you! Otherwise, please kindly remember to click on the stars (3, 4, 5) to leave me a positive rating as that is the only way I am paid for my time and information. Thank you.