Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.

I just received a PCH telephone call from ***- ***-****

Customer Question

I just received a PCH telephone call from ***- ***-**** informing me I won $2.5 million dollars and a mercedes benz. This was from an entry in 2008. I was informed I would have to pay $499.00 shipping and handling up front. They also wanted to know my E-mail address. Are they legal? , or is this a scam ?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

This is absolutely a scam. PCH will never ask you to send a penny in order to collect legitimate winnings. Nor will any other lottery or sweepstakes, for that matter. In a legitimate scenario, all costs, fees and taxes are paid out of the winnings themselves. Any time you are told otherwise, there is no question at all that you are dealing with a fraud.

In the next days or weeks, be on the look out for similar "too good to be true" loan solicitations, "sweepstakes" winnings, and similar windfall type offers. These will be further scams perpetrated by the same individual contacting you now under a different guise. Scammers love to double back on potential victims like this with "followup scams" in the hope that, though they couldn't trick you the first time, they will trick you the next.

In the mean time, you would be wise to immediately cease further contact with this scammer and report the matter to the local police and FBI field office. You can locate your local FBI field office here.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.