RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in criminal and various other areas of law.

I got a message on my cell phone wanting me to oblige for

Customer Question

I got a message on my cell phone wanting me to oblige for funding internet. I haven't opened it but is sounds like a Nigeria scam
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to helping you.

Unsolicited phone messages (or any unsolicited message via text, email, etc) usually prove to be some sort of scam. You can't go by the phone number though, since it's easy for a scammer to get a disposable cell phone or use programs to make them appear as if they have a local number. That's a NY (Long Island) area code, and phone number for example -but it doesn't mean the person isn't operating from a foreign country.

At least one search of the number also came back to a woman's "libido supplement", too.

Scammers use investment scams promising big payback and earnings and will talk about all the people making money. then turns around to ask for a “retainer” or fee to cover their time and efforts. No real investor or venture capital firm asks for money from the company they are intending to invest in. Or, they'll offer you a "loan" into a great opportunity, but the loan has "processing fees" or other costs built into it. Beware of any offer that asks you to spend money before you can make money, to buy a starter kit, education, or tools too -that's another classic scam.

Bot***** *****ne - you were expecting the message but suddenly someone is contacting you. Chances are if you contact them back, the person is going to ask for money. And, they'll either want a) your bank account and other sensitive information or b) for you to wire money to them. Criminals love it when people wire money, because it's just about impossible to get back and can't be traced.

I wouldn't respond to the message and I would block the phone number so that the messages no longer go through. Once they see you aren't responding, scammers will move onto easier targets.

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!