RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in criminal and various other areas of law.
18284290

I received an email from a company based in Portugal, named

Customer Question

I received an email from a company based in Portugal, named Sunny Valley, that offered me a Logistics Supervisor position. Duties to include coordinate receipt of prepaid parcel labels and the logistics of delivery process with department supervisor of the company. To coordinate the timely receipt and dispatch of parcels from company to the customers distantly. In 2 weeks I have received 3 parcels, that I shipped to the requested locations in the U.S., after discussing this over the weekend with an off duty law enforcement officer, he said it sounded like a reshipping scam, that he had went to recent training on. What are your thoughts on this. Tony, Frohna, Missouri
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to helping you.

I would agree, it sounds like a reshipping scam. Usually, the merchandise (typically electronics, but it could be anything) is bought with stolen credit cards and you are an unwitting helper in getting the products out of the country. And, if that wasn't bad enough, once you are "paid" the check/money order you are given are fakes. If you deposit a check that you think is good, the bank is obligated to cash it under law, but by the time it comes back as a bad check, you're then on the hook for the fees/penalties.

Some scam pitches appear as job-board postings. Other scammers send their intended victims an unsolicited, often grammatically wobbly email. An example: "We ve seen your resume on the [major job site], and we ve decided to offer you the position in our company." Sometimes scammers use a technique called spoofing. This scam can make an email containing a link to a fraudulent posting look like it comes from a well-known job site. I've seen it with other types of online scams, like lotteries that sound like actual lotteries and sweepstakes, but aren't.

As much as I'm sure you appreciate the work, I wouldn't get more involved with this because it could be a fraud, and you don't want to get mixed up in that.

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!