Nick-FraudExaminer
Nick-FraudExaminer, Fraud/Investigations/Financial Analysis
Experience:  Fraud Investigations
93685840

On face book I recieved a friend request from a who claimed

Customer Question

On face book I recieved a friend request from a ***** ***** who claimed he was a civil engineer and owned his own company, Hybrid Chemicals & Hospital Equip. and he won a contract with the ED)State Hospital Management Board: EDO State of Nigeria. He states he had his wallet taken at the airport and now is in dire distress due to not having enough money to transport his supplies to the Location site of the contract because his bank in England won't do any business with Nigeria. He has asked me for money which I sent around 6000.00 so far but needs 8000.00 more to transport these supplies. I believe him but there are too many red flags in his story; He also claims he has his 12 yr. old son with him and that they don't treat him good because he is an alien. He has a passport but that doesn't seem to help him. The contract agreement states he has to deliver these goods to the site before they will pay him. They refuse to help him by advancing any money to him. Am I being scammed?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Nick-FraudExaminer replied 4 months ago.

Hello there my name is ***** ***** I will be the fraud examiner answering your question today.

I am very sorry to say this, but Yes, I can confirm for you that this person you have been speaking to is in fact a scammer. I have heard this same kind of storyline before with many other clients. It is called the "import/export fees fraud". It typically works like this:

1) You meet a guy on a social networking (in this case Facebook) or dating site and he seems like a very nice, professional and legitimate person. He seems like a very nice man and you begin to form some type of ongoing communication. Usually, he claims to have his own business. Most frequently he claims to be an engineer, an architect or a contractor.

2) He tells you he is currently working abroad (usually in Nigeria or Ghana), and he needs your help to receive some of his goods for him due to some kind of emergency (in this case he does not have enough money to transport his supplies).

3) Now this is where the scam comes in. He will give you some kind of reason that he needs you to send him some money to help transport his "supposed goods" (in this case the $6,000).

4) Of course, the money you already sent is not enough. He will explain to you that although you already sent the money, there is still more money that needs to be sent so that the goods can legitimately be transported.

5) The reality is that this person you have been in contact with on Facebook is a professional scammer. He is operating out of the a scamming organization within Nigeria. What I mean is that there really is no supplies ready to be transported to you. He has formed a relationship with you for the sole purpose of trying to scam you out of your hard earned money.

So in conclusion, I am so sorry to say but this person (***** *****) is NOT LEGITIMATE.

At this point, my advice will be to cut ties with this person immediately. Tell them you spoke with a fraud examiner and you know they are scammers. Tell them to no longer contact you. NO MATTER WHAT EXCUSE THEY COME UP WITH, DO NOT SEND ANY MORE MONEY.

I know this may not have been the news you were hoping for, but I am happy that i can help you from losing more money to a scammer.

If you feel I did an excellent job, bonuses are always appreciated!

Even after you accept my answer, you can still ask follow up questions at no additional cost. Thank you again and I wish you all the best!