Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I have received contact from a group called "E-Wizard

Customer Question

I have received contact from a group called "E-Wizard Support Service" is this fraud or a scam?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 4 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. Are you online now? If so, please give me a website for the company or a snail mail address.

Did you give them remote access to your computer?

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 4 months ago.

I am unable to find a website for this company, which is a very bad sign.

There is no way a company can really know that you have a virus on your machine unless they can look into your computer. So any company that makes unsolicited contact or which posts a pop-up on your computer is running a very popular scam. This is true, even if they claim that they are partnered with Microsoft or Windows. Using the name of two reputable companies makes a scammer look more legitimate, but it still doesn't allow them to know what's going on within your computer unless you give them remote access to it.

If E-Wizard contacted you out of the blue to warn you that your computer was infected, what they want is to get remote access to your computer. So by giving them access, they can hack into your computer and steal your money. It will all look proper to your bank because the thieves will use the same passwords that you do.

You need to take immediate precautions against further identity theft by getting your computer debugged -- not by E-Wizard or by some other unknown company you run across online. Take it to a local tech shop or ask one of our verified computer techs in our computer category to walk you through a debugging. Then you can change all your passwords and PIN numbers and be secure.

You'd also want to put a fraud alert on your credit reports so that these thieves cannot use what information they gained to take out loans or apply for credit cards in your name. You do that by notifying any one of the three credit reporting services, Equifax, Experian or TransUnion (any one of them will automatically notify the other two) and asking for one.

A fraud alert is free for 90 days, and it means that if, during that time, anyone attempts to open up a credit card or take out a loan in your name, you will get a phone call before any such loan or credit line gets authorized. After 90 days, you can continue the service for a fee.

A fraud alert will not affect your credit negatively. It is only to protect you, and it won't change the way you can use your credit cards or bank accounts. It just alerts new lenders not to approve new lines of credit without contacting you first.

I'm linking you to Experian, because I have the link handy. Again, they all perform the same service and any one will notify the other two.

You'll also get a copy of your credit history from each of the 3 reporting agencies when you apply for the fraud alert, so that you can see if there are any accounts or loans you know nothing about that someone opened under your name.

https://www.experian.com/fraud/center.html

From there, everyone is entitled to get a free copy of their credit report online, compliments of the Federal Trade Commission. AnnualCreditReport.com is a government approved, free source for your credit histories. You could get that free report time you like.

You are going to want to monitor your credit report every now and again, just to be sure than nothing unauthorized has occurred. You'll also need to be vigilant about looking at your bank and credit card statements and so long as you promptly report any unauthorized use, you should be able to get your money back.

You can read more about these Tech Support Scams here, and you need to notify your police and the FBI online at IC3.gov and the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 4 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.