Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the professional fraud examiner helping you today. Happy to help.
Can you answer a few questions for me first...
- How did you actually come into contact with him on facebook?
- What does he say is the reason that the army is not paying for his return flight?
- What is his date of birth?
Keep in mind that you are not charged any more funds just to answer my questions so do not worry about that.
Hi Diane.. My name is Nick. Please respond to the questions I have asked you so we can go from there.
Here they are again:
Hi Diane, I have sent you the phone call request option so that we can have a discussion and I can answer all of your questions regarding this matter.
Please accept the phone call request.
If you do not wish to speak over the phone, please let me know so I can just send you the answer within this chat portal.
Hello again Diane, I saw that you were able to view my message but I know that JustAnswer was having some technical difficulties so you may not have been able to respond to me. I want to make sure you have the answers you need, so I have provided it here in this chat portal.
I am so sorry to tell you this but based on the facts you have presented, this sounds to me like a scam known as a US Military Scam. The scam essentially works like this:
1. You will come into contact with someone claiming to be a member of the US Military who is stationed overseas (in this case Baghdad).
2. The contact will typically be initiated through a social media or dating website (in this case Facebook).
3. Over time, this person claiming to be a member of the military will genuinely gain your trust and seem to be a very good person. You will develop a very close romantic relationship. The military member will claim that he wants to return back to the United States/Canada in order to visit you.
4. However, before he can come back home to see you, he has a problem. That is where the scam comes in. He will have some excuse that seems to be legitimate but in fact it is a way for them to con you into sending money to them. In this case the scammer is using the excuse that he does not have access to his funds.
5. The truth is that all members of the US military receive a salary. They also have access to their bank accounts and money when they are stationed overseas just like if they were in the United States/Canada. Just because the person is stationed in Iraq, it does not mean that he has no access to his money. In addition, US military personnel are able to travel back to the United States free of charge through military transport planes when their service has ended.
Therefore, there is no legitimate reason that he should be requesting YOUR MONEY because he wants to come back home.
The United States Federal Trade Commission has issued many advisories to alert people of these kinds of scams. For an example of one such advisory please see:
I recommend that you DO NOT SEND MONEY to this person for any reason. No matter what excuse he comes up with, do not fall for this because it is a scam.
Although I'm sure this is not the answer you were hoping for, I am glad that I have been able to help you before you lose money to this scammer.
If you do have any additional questions, feel free to ask and I will be happy to answer.
Please remember that I only receive credit for answering your question when you accept my answer using the 3, 4 or 5 STARS on the top of the screen and then SUBMIT. I work very hard to give you the most honest and accurate answer; I kindly ask that you reciprocate my good faith by accepting my answer.
If you feel I did an excellent job, bonuses are always appreciated!
Even after you accept my answer, you can still ask follow up questions at no additional cost. Thank you again and I wish you all the best!
Hello again Diane, I noticed you were able to view the answer I prepared for you. Do you need any further information or clarification?
If so, please reply here on this question thread.
My main goal is to make sure that you are fully satisfied with your answer. I look forward to hearing from you.