Loren, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney/Hearing Officer

I was called last week saying that I was the winner of 2

Customer Question

I was called last week saying that I was the winner of 2 million 5 hundred thousand dollars from PCH . I will receive $5000 a week for the rest of my life. Since then, they have told me in order to get this I had to send $3800 to Billy MaGee in MS, to get this process going. Everybody has to do this. So I sent in by Registured mail, which I did.I have reciept to prove it. The next step was to send wire to Charter Bank into Billy McGee***** Ocean Springs,MS zip 39564. $15,000. Now today they tell me to complete everything i had to wire $20,000 to Hancock Bank and put in Billy McGee's account acct# ***** My bank called me @1PM & if I felt with comfortable sending $35,000 in 2 daus to this person. SHe asked if I knew this people So you aren't scamed. The bank has had several customers scammed and she didn't want anything to happen to me.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to answering your question. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

As you know, something which is too good to be true is, generally, not. Also, I am sure you suspect this is one of those times. Unfortunately, I am absolutely sure that there is no prize waiting for you from these people.

This is positively a scam. It is known as an "Advance Fee Scam".
Just remember:
1. You can not win a sweepstakes or lottery you did not enter.
2. No legitimate sweepstakes asks winners to pay upfront to release the winnings.
3. If they were genuinely holding money belonging to you should be able to tell them to just deduct the taxes, insurance, courier fee (all red flags, by the way) and send you a net check.

Do not send any more money or otherwise respond. They are stealing from you.

Here is an online warning from the FTC:

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (5 stars) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.