Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

Is the bertmint group of co who's CEOs is Gabbert Schmitt a

Customer Question

Is the bertmint group of co who's CEOs is Gabbert Schmitt a legitimate co and can u tell me where Gabbert Schmitt is now. I met him on a senior web site. Is he for real?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 3 months ago.

Do you have a website for this company or a snail mail address. Where is the company located?

Has he asked you for money? What has he done that makes you think he may be a scammer? Do you have a photo of him that you can upload with your reply?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't know what a snail mail address is. He said he is from Germany and moved to the us 1 year and 9 months ago. I do not know the web site for company I just looked company up on line. Yes he asked me for money because he said he was robbed and needed money to finish his job and when his job is done he will pay me back. I
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He is the owner of the business he runs it from where he is working
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for the reply. I cannot trace the photo, but I can tell you that you've found yourself a romance scammer.

There's a profile on Linked in for Gabbert Schmitt, claiming he's the CEO of Bertmint Group which is supposedly in Las Vegas. The Nevada Secretary of State's business register, however has no such company registered as doing business in that state. I've attached a screenshot.

Also a reverse search of all public records show that there is no such person living anywhere in the entire US named Gabbert Schmitt. You can see that screenshot too.

You've fallen for a romance scam known as the Stranded Traveler. Here's how it works and the telltale signs of the scam:

You meet a guy on a social networking or dating site and he falls in love with you at first sight. He talks love, marriage, future and forever, before you can even meet in person.

He is everything you always wanted in a man, and you can't believe your luck. Typically, but not always, he claims to be a widower with a son or a daughter. Usually, he claims to have his own business. Most frequently he claims to be an engineer, an architect or a contractor.

Whatever his profession, however, before he can finally meet you he tells you he must travel abroad for work purposes, and he ends up typically in some country that's neither his nor yours. Most often he claims to have to go to Ghana and Nigeria, because these two countries specialize in romance scams.

Anyhow, once abroad, Mr Perfect suddenly suddenly turns into Mr. Needy, the world's unluckiest guy. He has the first of a series of emergencies for which only your money will do. There's equipment failure , for example, and he can't afford the repair. Or Customs is holding the products he ordered and he needs money to get them released. Or he has cash flow problems and he can't afford to pay his workers. Or he gets robbed of all of his documents and he can't leave until he pays his hotel bill. Or he or one of his family members gets ill and cannot get treatment or leave the hospital until you pay his bill.

There are bunches of excuses like this. They are all lies and they are designed only to part you with your money. Of course, each time he gets money, he assures you that he will pay you back when he returns home. But he never gets an inch closer to the plane, and he never will. He is not who, what or where you think he is. He's a ring of thieves hiding behind the photo of an appealing man.

Once talk of love turns to money with any online romance you have not developed a real-time actual in-person dating relationship with, you are being scammed. Each and every time.

I know that you suspect him because you wouldn't ask this question if you didn't.

If what I've said above sounds like your circumstances and I already know it does, you've got yourself a scammer.

If I have convinced you, you need to report this as a crime to your police and to the FBI at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Right now he is not claiming to be in the United States. He says he is in Cyprus working. Can you tell me if he is really there
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I found the website for the company.
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 3 months ago.

I've already told you that a background check shows that no person by that name has ever lived in the US. Nor is there any real business named Bertmint. I linked you to the Nevada Secretary of STate so that you could see that for yourself.

The website you gave me is down, as it has exceeded its bandwidth. It's not presently active, but the WHOIS information indicates that the site was created on November 21, 2015 and will expire in 4 months. That's not how legitimate businesses set themselves up. The least amount of time you can reserve your domain name is ***** ***** and a so-called company that does set itself up to be around for the long haul is always highly suspect. Real businesses protect their brand by reserving their domain for years at a time. This is NOT presently even an active site.

Also the website is using a private proxy service to hide the name and actual location of the website owner. You can see all of this for yourself by going to and running through its search box to get to Bertmint's WHOIS.

In short, I know you'd like to believe him, but he is not real. He's a bunch of scammers sitting at an internet cafe and hiding behind the picture you think you've fallen in love with. Nothing you've been told is the truth, and the only thing you have in common with this person is the contents of your bank account.

He is NOT REAL. You will never meet him. He will have emergencies after emergencies for as long as you keep sending him money.

Stop all contact and report him to the police and to the FBI as I have indicated earlier.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.