Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Can someone help me

Customer Question

Hello can someone help me
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 4 months ago.

What is your question?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How do I deal with some fake loan scammers that has all of my personal info?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
These people go by the name of common wealth bank, but they conned me out of my social, and banking information.
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the prompt reply. You have to report this fraud to your police and to the FBI at IC3.gov and the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov,

But before you do that, you're going to want to contact your bank immediately and tell them that your account has been compromised. Close that account and open up a new one. If your bank has a 24 hour number, do it right away.

If you gave these folks any credit card account numbers to qualify for the phony loan, you will want to also call those card carriers, cancel those cards and open up new ones.

Then you need to put a fraud alert on your credit history. You do that by notifying any one of the three credit reporting services, Equifax, Experian or TransUnion (any one of them will automatically notify the other two) and asking for one.

A fraud alert is free for 90 days, and it means that if, during that time, anyone attempts to open up a credit card or take out a loan in your name, you will get a phone call before any such loan or credit line gets authorized. After 90 days, you can continue the service for a fee.

A fraud alert will not affect your credit negatively. It is only to protect you, and it won't change the way you can use your credit cards or bank accounts. It just alerts new lenders not to approve new lines of credit without contacting you first.

I'm linking you to Experian, because I have the link handy. Again, they all perform the same service and any one will notify the other two.

You'll also get a copy of your credit history from each of the 3 reporting agencies when you apply for the fraud alert, so that you can see if there are any accounts or loans you know nothing about that someone opened under your name.

https://www.experian.com/fraud/center.html

From there, everyone is entitled to get a free copy of their credit report online, compliments of the Federal Trade Commission. AnnualCreditReport.com is a government approved, free source for your credit histories. You could get that free report time you like.

You are going to want to monitor your credit report every now and again, just to be sure than nothing unauthorized has occurred. You'll also need to be vigilant about looking at your bank and credit card statements and so long as you promptly report any unauthorized use, you should be able to get your money back.

As for your social security number, you are going to want to follow the directions on the Social Security Administration's website here:

www.ssa.gov/pubs/10064.html

There's a special form you will have to fill out that will alert the IRS so that nobody can take your tax refunds or your benefits, or report their income as yours.

Good luck!

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 4 months ago.

It just occurred to me that you mentioned your social accounts too. Get to all of them ASAP and change your passwords. If you've already been locked out of them, contact the sites and let them know so that they can take care of that for you.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 4 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.