Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.

Is the Madrid Spain Bono Lotto a scam. Said I had won 4.5

Customer Question

Is the Madrid Spain Bono Lotto a scam. Said I had won 4.5 million.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Have you been to Spain lately? Did you buy a ticket recently for this particular lottery while in Spain? If you answered "no" to either of these questions, this is a scam. By law, you cannot win a lottery without having purchased a ticket. Lottery winners are never chosen from the population at large. Furthermore, international lotteries are illegal in the United States, so you could not have won a Spanish lottery unless you were recently in Spain and purchased a ticket there.

This would be an "advance fee" scam. These scams have numerous variations but the essential facts they all have in common is that the victim is contacted and informed of sweepstakes winnings, inheritance or some other financial windfall and eventually told that they need to pay a "processing fee" or bank transfer fee in order to receive their winnings (you NEVER need to send money up front to collect real prize winnings). Of course, there is no sum of money for the victim and this is merely a ploy to get the victim to send their own advance payment, with which the scammer will promptly disappear.

In the next days or weeks, be on the look out for similar "too good to be true" loan solicitations, "sweepstakes" winnings, and similar windfall type offers. These will be further scams perpetrated by the same individual contacting you now under a different guise. Scammers love to double back on potential victims like this with "followup scams" in the hope that, though they couldn't trick you the first time, they will trick you the next.

In the mean time, you would be wise to immediately cease further contact with this scammer and report the matter to the local police and FBI field office. You can locate your local FBI field office here.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.