Loren, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney/Hearing Officer

Petterson is on the phone and said I am a winner of 21/2

Customer Question

James Petterson is on the phone and said I am a winner of 21/2 millions dollars from Publishers Clearing house. I am suppose to take 685. to Walmart and then the prize patrol will bring it to me.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Good morning. James. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

As you know, something which is too good to be true is, generally, not. Also, I am sure you suspect this is one of those times. Unfortunately, I am absolutely sure that there is no prize waiting for you from these people.

This is positively a scam. It is known as an "Advance Fee Scam".

Just remember:
1. You can not win a sweepstakes or lottery you did not enter.

2. No legitimate sweepstakes asks winners to pay upfront to release the winnings.

3. If they were genuinely holding money belonging to you should be able to tell them to just deduct the taxes, insurance, courier fee (all red flags, by the way) and send you a net check.

STOP. Do not send any money or otherwise respond. They are trying to steal from you. You owe them no explanation. Just ignore their calls or block the number in your phone.

Here is an online warning from the FTC:

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.