Nick-FraudExaminer, Fraud/Investigations/Financial Analysis
Experience:  Fraud Investigations

I have been contacted by a would be soldier named .. One

Customer Question

I have been contacted by a would be soldier named ***** *****.. One picture has I believe a master Sargent rank on his uniform.. He and I talked briefly on fb messenger today. His voice seemed forien though? His profile picture shows a white male. How can I find if this is a scam? He said he was part of the 82 airborne div. Troop A in Abdul Afghanistan?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Nick-FraudExaminer replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am the Certified Fraud Examiner who will be assisting you today.

I have to say that this already sounds suspicious. Has this supposed Andrew asked you to do anything for him such as send money, gifts or anything of value?

If you would prefer to speak on the phone for an additional small fee to get your question answered faster, please let me know and I can make that happen.

Hello again Roselynn,

Well I am very sorry to tell you this but I am almost sure that this person claiming to be ***** ***** is setting you up for what is known as a "military romance scam." What this means is that the person you have been talking to is not really who they say they are. They are not really in the 82nd Airbone Division of the US Army. Their true intentions are to set you up make you think you are falling in love and eventually they will ask you to send them money in the future.

These scammers are pretending to be U.S. servicemen, routinely serving in a combat zone. The scammers will often take the true rank and name of a U.S. Soldier who is honorably serving his country somewhere in the world, and then download photographs of any U.S. Soldier off the Internet, and then build a false identity to begin searching the Internet on dating sites for victims.

The reason the person has an accent when he speaks is because he is not truly from the United States or in the US Army. Most of these scammers are actually located in West African countries such as Ghana or Nigeria. These people are very good at pretending that they have found the love, but in fact they are using the military as a way to get you to trust them and eventually they will come up with an excuse for you to send them money. Here are some important things you should know about the U.S. military and why I believe this person is a scammer:

• U.S. military personnel must use their official military e-mail addresses for all correspondence. All US Army military email addresses will be the persons name So the email that you should be communicating with should be *****@******.***. This is a security measure to ensure that the messages sent using U.S. military email accounts do not compromise confidential security information. Therefore, you should be communicating with him using this military email address. If he is communicating to you using a private email address with a standard ending such as,, or this is a red flag for a scammer.
  • Another important thing to realize is that most members of the military only get about half an hour online per week for all of their personal correspondence. So if you have been chatting with this person for more than 1/2 an hour per week, this is a red flag for a scammer.
  • U.S. soldiers stationed in a war zone such as Afghanistan are NOT permitted to use online dating sites. This is a security measure in place to make sure that soldiers do not accidentally reveal confidential security information by mistake to someone who they are dating online. So if you were initially contacted by this person through an online dating site, this is a red flag for a scammer.
  • Additionally, U.S. soldiers stationed in a war zone cannot reveal their true location or use cell phones for communication. This is to make sure that adversaries cannot locate where U.S. military forces are. If you have been chatting with him using a cell phone number or over text messages, this is another red flag for a scammer.

• Finally, if this person has not done so yet, I believe he will come up with some kind of excuse as to why he needs you to send him money in the near future. A request for money, gifts, or other item of value before you actually meet in person is the #1 sign of a romance scammer.

Also, for your awareness I want you to read this important advisory from the US Army about these kinds of romance scams: It details all of the kinds of things that scammers will come up with to try and get money from you.

In conclusion, I believe that this person is setting you up to be scammed. If any of the red flags I mentioned above are true based on your correspondence with this person then you have a scammer on your hands and I recommend you cut all ties and communication with him immediately.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answer has helped you. If you do have any additional questions, feel free to ask and I will be happy to answer.

Please remember that I only receive credit for answering your question when you accept my answer using the 3, 4 or 5 STARS on the top of the screen and then SUBMIT. I work very hard to give you the most honest and accurate answer; I kindly ask that you reciprocate my good faith by accepting my answer.

If you feel I did an excellent job, bonuses are always appreciated!

Even after you accept my answer, you can still ask follow up questions at no additional cost. Thank you again and I wish you all the best!

Hello again, I noticed you were able to view the answer I prepared for you. Do you need any further information or clarification?

If so, please reply here on this question thread.

My main goal is to make sure that you are fully satisfied with your answer. I look forward to hearing from you.