Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I received a phone call this morning that may be a scam. It

Customer Question

I received a phone call this morning that may be a scam . It was a recorded message that said that there was a tax fraud complaint against me without identifying me by name. The person simply said "you" and said that I should call them at a certain number which I don't remember as soon as possible before I get arrested. According to the caller ID the call came from Peerless Network and the number listed is(###) ###-#### The caller did not self identify or ever say she was from IRS. Just talked about tax fraud and United States. So the question is, was this call a scam or was it legit and I should have paid more attention and called the number I was given. I only remember that the area code was the same as that shown on the caller ID but not the rest of the number.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with this question.

You can breathe easy. This is a very well-known scam.

You haven't done anything wrong. The call is just a way of phishing for your personal information and of trying to steal money from you. You can just block and ignore their calls.

Nothing is going to happen to you. The IRS does not make phone calls. When the IRS really does audit you and determines that you really do owe money, you don't get a call or an email. You get a written notification from them via snail mail. The notice is on an official government form and includes the information you need to reply to them, so that you can show them that their calculations are in error and ask for a hearing. You will not get a phone call.

If you are unwise enough to disregard the IRS letter, the IRS STILL won't call you. And they won't come after you to arrest you either. But eventually what would happen is that the IRS will levy your bank account and seize all of your assets. What they will not seize is you.

We don't have debtor's prisons in this country. Nobody can get arrested for failure to pay a civil debt.

The IRS is very aware of scams perpetrated in its name. Scams like this have been going around for a long time. You can see warnings from the IRS about audit and other types of scams here:

http://www.irs.gov/uac/IRS-Warns-of-New-E-Mail-and-Telephone-Scams-Using-the-IRS-Name%3B-Advance-Payment-Scams-Starting

The IRS tells you how they want you to handle this scam here on their website:

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/IRS-Warns-of-Pervasive-Telephone-Scam

They recommend that you call the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration at 800*366*4484 and file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov.

If you didn't respond by calling them back and sending off any money, just blocking them from here and reporting them is all you have to do. If you have sent money, also report them to your police, as you're the victim of a crime.

Have a safe and happy upcoming holiday weekend.