Nick-FraudExaminer
Nick-FraudExaminer, Fraud/Investigations/Financial Analysis
Experience:  Fraud Investigations
93685840

A guy befriended me on Faceboob and tnen messengered me that

Customer Question

A guy befriended me on Faceboob and tnen messengered me that I had won all this stuff. He has a site on Facebook under the name Todd Sloane ar pch. I have all the conversation on my IPad. Marie Yatsko
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Nick-FraudExaminer replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am the Certified Fraud Examiner who will be assisting you today.

I'm currently working on a reply to your question and I'll be back shortly with your answer. Thanks for your patience.

If you would prefer to speak on the phone for an additional small fee to get your question answered faster, please let me know and I can make that happen.

Hello again, well I can tell you that this is a common Facebook scam that I have been seeing more and more of lately.

The scam works like this:

1) The guy befriends you and seems like a nice enough person.

2) He then tells you that you are the lucky winner of some items

3) He claims to be from a legitimate sweepstakes such as Publishers Clearing House (PCH)

4) He says all you need to do in order to claim your prize is to pay a small processing fees and then they will send over your prize to you right away.

5) He will always request that you make this payment using an untraceable service such as Western Union, Moneygram, Prepaid Visa/Mastercard, iTunes gift card, etc.

The problem is that there really is no prize. The guy is not really from PCH because they do not notify winners of sweepstakes using Facebook. In addition, PCH requires you to present your proof of entry in order to claim any winnings. All of this is just to get you to send the money to him. Once you send the money, he will keep coming up with more excuses as to why there is another processing fee or a shipping fee that needs to be paid in order to claim the prize.

DO NOT SEND ANY MONEY TO HIM. THIS IS A SCAM.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answer has helped you. If you do have any additional questions, feel free to ask and I will be happy to answer.

Please remember that I only receive credit for answering your question when you accept my answer using the 3, 4 or 5 STARS on the top of the screen and then SUBMIT. I work very hard to give you the most honest and accurate answer; I kindly ask that you reciprocate my good faith by accepting my answer. If you feel I did an excellent job, bonuses are always appreciated!

Even after you accept my answer, you can still ask follow up questions at no additional cost.

Thank you again and I wish you all the best!

Hello again, I noticed you were able to view the answer I prepared for you. Do you need any further information or clarification?

If so, please reply here on this question thread.

My main goal is to make sure that you are fully satisfied with your answer. I look forward to hearing from you.