Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.
60109343

I have had 2 calls today on my landline saying they are from

Customer Question

I have had 2 calls today on my landline saying they are from the IRS and need me to call back at a washington #
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

What is the phone number from which you received these calls? Are they asking you to do anything or threatening you in any way? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
is(###) ###-####which is a landline..They got very sexual when i called them back and demanded to know where they were from and what was the point in calling me
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
sorry the # ***** showed up was a washington #(###) ###-####

Thank you for clarifying the number and for your replies.

You're dealing with a scam here. That phone number has absolutely no affiliation to the IRS or to any official government agency. Nobody from the IRS would ever make sexual comments to you on the phone, and in fact, the IRS would not start by calling you in the first place. If the IRS was going to penalize you, they would notify you in writing. In most cases, they would conduct an audit first. So, the whole idea of the IRS calling you and harassing you on the phone out of the blue is completely preposterous.

You are likely being set up for a demand to pay "fines" or "penalties" which of course don't exist by people pretending to work for the IRS. A certain percentage of people get scared and pay, which is why these scams are profitable.

In the next days or weeks, be on the look out for similar solicitations. These will be further scams perpetrated by the same individual contacting you now under a different guise. Scammers love to double back on potential victims like this with "followup scams" in the hope that, though they couldn't trick you the first time, they will trick you the next.

In the mean time, you would be wise to immediately cease further contact with this scammer and report the matter to the local police and FBI field office. You can locate your local FBI field office here.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.