Nick-FraudExaminer
Nick-FraudExaminer, Fraud/Investigations/Financial Analysis
Experience:  Fraud Investigations
93685840

About six months ago I was scammed for $ + by a man claiming

Customer Question

About six months ago I was scammed for $666 + by a man claiming over the telephone to represent a firm he called Jupiter Support who he said was a Microsoft partner represent who promised to go on line and clean up my compute of Potentially Unwanted Documents. He set me up on a three-year contract, which as I recall was renewable for another $666+
JA: Oh, dear. I'm sure the Fraud Examiner can help you. Is there anything else the Fraud Examiner should be aware of?
Customer: Oh some incidental details: He set me up on a three-year contract and left identifying boxes on my computer giving the company's name, Jupiter Support, their telephone number and on-line address. Of course I bit because my computer had become practically inoperative and it was llate
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Fraud Examiner about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Nick-FraudExaminer replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am the Certified Fraud Examiner who will be assisting you today.

I'm so sorry to hear about this situation. This is one of the latest scams to hit the market regarding technical support. So what is your exact question so that I can get you all the help you need?

If you would prefer to speak on the phone for an additional small fee to get your question answered faster, please let me know and I can make that happen.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
First, this sounds exactly like the line the Jupiter Support fed me getting me to agree to ever increasing credit card charges.I would rather type than talk.

Ok, no problem. Well I can assure you that JustAnswer is a reputable site with experts who have been vetted for experience and qualifications.

Please tell me your exact question so I can give you the information you need.

Good Morning,Are you trying to find out what you can to avoid renewing the contract and being charged the $666 by this scammer again?Please let me know so I can tell you what to do.

Hello again, I was hoping to hear back from you by now but I can confirm for you that this is one of the latest scams scam called the “tech support scam”. Here’s typically how it works:

1) You get a cold call from a supposed computer technology company (in this case Microsoft partner - Juniper Support).

2) The person who claims to be affiliated with Microsoft will insist that you have a problem with your computer. They will insist that because you are a customer of theirs, you must let them inspect your computer remotely through the internet so they can diagnose the problem and repair for you (in this case clean up unwanted documents).

3) Many of these calls actually originate from outside your country and the caller may have a thick or heavy accent. What these scammer really wants to do is to is to gain remote access to your computer. This will allow them to install software on your system which “works behind the scenes” (in this case the Juniper software) and essentially allows them to hack into your computer, find your passwords, and get into your financial accounts. They also use this software to find photos of you that you may not want to become public and once they have retrieved them from your computer they may try to blackmail you by insisting you send them money or else they will publish the photos online. They may also try to remotely change your passwords on your computer itself locking you out and then insist that you pay them or else they will not unlock your computer.

4) These scammers have likely purchased a customer list of Microsoft's from some computer hackers or from some corrupt employee within the company. That is how they have your contact information and they know you are a customer with Microsoft products.

5) Since you already gave these people remote access and they installed software (Juniper Support),you need to take your computer to a local computer support technician that you can see for yourself and trust and have him debug your computer.

6) When the computer debugging process is finished, change all of your financial account PIN numbers and passwords that you use online.

7) Since you paid them by credit card, call your credit card carrier, dispute the initial transaction as fraud and have them send you a new card. Tell your credit card company you want to do a chargeback on the payment you made, because you were tricked into paying by fake computer technicians. This new credit card will have a new account number so the credit card numbers you gave the scammers will be worthless once they cancel the card.

Again, I am so sorry to hear about this situation. The good thing is that once you following all of the steps I have outlined above, you should be able to get the software off your machine and get rid of the charges to your credit card.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answer has helped you. If you do have any additional questions, feel free to ask and I will be happy to answer.

Please remember that I only receive credit for answering your question when you accept my answer using the 3, 4 or 5 STARS on the top of the screen and then SUBMIT. I work very hard to give you the most honest and accurate answer; I kindly ask that you reciprocate my good faith by accepting my answer. If you feel I did an excellent job, bonuses are always appreciated!

Even after you accept my answer, you can still ask follow up questions at no additional cost.

Thank you again and I wish you all the best!

Hello again, I noticed you were able to view the answer I prepared for you 2 days ago. Do you need any further information or clarification?

If so, please reply here on this question thread.

My main goal is to make sure that you are fully satisfied with your answer. I look forward to hearing from you.