TheFraudExpert
TheFraudExpert, Fraud/Investigations/Financial Analysis
Experience:  Certified Fraud Examiner
93685840

I gave support buddy 400 dollars, up and I had BOD. They

Customer Question

I gave support buddy 400 dollars , for clean up and I had BOD . They cleared it up and said if I pay 400 I would be good for a year 6 months later support buddy calls an says I need another 700 cause of hackers I feel I've been scammed please help me understand and find a cheaper solutions to protect my computer from viruses an protection from hackers SOS
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  TheFraudExpert replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am the Certified Fraud Examiner who will be assisting you today.

I'm currently working on a reply to your question and I'll be back shortly with your answer. Thanks for your patience.

If you would prefer to speak on the phone for an additional small fee to get your question answered faster, please let me know and I can make that happen.

Now let me ask you a few questions so I can determine if this is a scam or not:

-How did you initially come into contact with Support Buddy? (Did they call you or did you call them?)

-How did you initially pay them the $400 for clean up? (Credit card, Western Union, Moneygram, Pre-paid gift card, etc)

-How are they asking that you pay the $700 cause of hackers now?

Hello again, I know that JustAnswer was having some technical problems so you may not have been able to reply back my my questions.

Due to the fact that you have been contacted directly by someone claiming to be from Support Buddy and they have requested $700, this sounds like one of the latest scams known as the “tech support scam”. Legitimate technology support companies never call customers directly. It is typically customers that call tech support when they have a problem with their computer. Here’s typically how the tech support scam works:

1) You get a contacted by a supposed computer technology company (in this case Support Buddy).

2) The person who contacts you and claims to be from Support Buddy will insist that you have a problem with your computer. They will insist that because you are a customer of theirs, you must let them inspect your computer remotely through the internet so they can diagnose the problem and repair for you.

3) Many of these calls actually originate from outside your country and the caller may have a thick or heavy accent. What these scammer really wants to do is to is to gain remote access to your computer. This will allow them to install software on your system which “works behind the scenes” and essentially allows them to hack into your computer, find your passwords, and get into your financial accounts. They also use this to find photos of you that you may not want to become public and once they have retrieved them from your computer they may try to blackmail you by insisting you send them money or else they will publish the photos online. They may also try to remotely change your passwords on your computer itself locking you out. Then they will insist that you pay them or else they will not unlock your computer.

4) These scammers have likely purchased a Mac customer list from some computer hackers or from some corrupt employee within the company. That is how they have your contact information and they know you are a customer who owns a Mac product.

So in conclusion, this is a SCAM. I recommend you block their number from your phone if possible so they cannot contact you any more. DO NOT SEND THEM ANYMORE MONEY.

Since you already gave these people remote access and they probably have installed hidden software (malware),you need to take your computer to a computer support technician in your local area that you trust and have them debug your computer.

5) In addition, change all of your financial account PIN numbers and passwords that you use online.

6) If you paid these scammers by credit card, call your credit card carrier, dispute the transaction as fraud and have them send you a new card. Tell your credit card company you want to do a chargeback on the payment you made, because you were tricked into paying by fake computer technicians. Once they issue you a new credit card, your new card will have a new account number so the credit card numbers you gave the scammers will be worthless once they cancel the original card.

7) I also suggest enrolling in a credit monitoring/identity theft service such as Lifelock. This is an important step in protecting yourself just in case these people try to use information stolen remotely from your computer to attempt identity fraud in the future. These services will protect you in case any fraud is committed.

Again, I am so sorry to hear about this situation. The good thing is that once you following all of the steps I have outlined above, you should cover all your bases. It has been my pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answer has helped you. If you do have any additional questions, feel free to ask and I will be happy to answer.

Please remember that I only receive credit for answering your question when you accept my answer using the 3, 4 or 5 STARS on the top of the screen and then SUBMIT. I work very hard to give you the most honest and accurate answer; I kindly ask that you reciprocate my good faith by accepting my answer. Even after you accept my answer, you can still ask follow up questions at no additional cost.

Thank you again and I wish you all the best!

Good Evening, I noticed you were able to view the answer I prepared for you. Do you need any further information or clarification?

If so, please reply here on this question thread.

My main goal is to make sure that you are fully satisfied with your answer. I look forward to hearing from you.