Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I have been emailed by a person who claims to be named

Customer Question

I have been emailed by a person who claims to be named "***** *****" and said she wants to help with charity. I didn't think much and managed to get in talks with her Lawyer who says his name is "Barrister ***** *****e" I didn't spend all my money because I then noticed it was fishy over why I have to pay such amount for 5 MILLION Dollars and I then found out that I'm not the only who got contasted by these people. I spent an amount of 3,547 USD to this lawyer and I tried to see if I can get them back but he said I should pay 600USD to get a document and receive my funds back but I am having doubts if he even is saying the truth. Please I want to know if there is a way to solve this problem and possibly get my money back. The emails from the people that contacted me are***@******.*** and***@******.***
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 6 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. Should you wish email or phone support, let me know and the site can arrange that. Are you online now?

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 6 months ago.

This is one of the oldest of the Nigerian scams, going way back before the age of the internet. You get an unsolicited out of the blue email from someone you have never heard of. He generally claims to be a lawyer, operating on behalf of someone else you've never heard of. Somehow, because of your goodness, or your righteousness or some other equally preposterous reason, your name has come to his attention.

If you help him get his client's money donated to charity, you will get a percentage of a huge fortune. It's a fraud, of course. Nobody would really need a stranger in another country to make a donation. It's just a way to dangle an attractive carrot in front of you so that you'd be willing to pay and pay and pay and pay and pay and pay this so called barrister to release the money that doesn't even really exist.

Neither does the lawyer, or ***** *****. These are phony names that won't check out.

You are the victim of a crime. Finding these folks will be a job for law enforcement. Report the fraud to your police and to the FBI at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at IC3.gov. Your only way of getting your money back is if the authorities can find out who and where these thieves really are and bring them to justice.

Do not send any more money. YOu won't get your funds back and you will just be throwing them away.

DO report the crime however. Even if the police can do nothing to help you, as the victim of a crime your unreimbursed losses due to that crime are tax deductible. So you will be able to get something back in the form of a tax deduction when you file your 2016 taxes.

And in the future, keep in mind that any unsolicited message from someone you don't know containing news that is much too good to be true is a scam. YOu should just delete it and move on.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 6 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.