Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer.

Do you know anything about Tiger BayHolidays and the 12th

Customer Question

Do you know anything about Tiger BayHolidays and the 12th Anniversary Promotion which involves a scratchy and big dollar prizes. There major sponsor is Douglas & Lawson Ltd.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

There is a scam that's been going around for awhile, where they send out glossy brochures, with scratch tickets, as part of a "promotion." It turns out, every other scratch card is a winner (and everyone gets two) - but then you find out that, to claim the prize, you have to pay "the government" (actually the scam artists) several thousand dollars upfront in order to claim the prize. People have reported Tiger Bay Holidays as one of the company names being misappropriated by these scam artists.

It's physically impossible to win a contest without entering, and no legitimate company will ever charge you to claim a prize. If you really did win a huge cash award, the company giving it out would simply pay it to you. You'd fill out forms stating whether you wanted taxes withheld, but it's not required (you can pay when you file your tax return), and it's withheld rather than paid upfront. Any time someone asks you to pay them so they can give you money, it's a dead giveaway. Just throw the materials away.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Did you have any other questions about this?