How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Loren Your Own Question

Loren, Attorney
Category: Fraud Examiner
Satisfied Customers: 29021
Experience:  Attorney/Hearing Officer
Type Your Fraud Examiner Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think my inlaws are being scammed out of money. They are

Customer Question

I think my inlaws are being scammed out of money. They are sending money through a NY bank who then pays a Belize college. They think they are helping pay for a boys college in Belize. They have never spoken to or met this student. They met his bar tender father while in Belize years ago. They won't give us much more information. How can we determine if they are being scammed?
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.

Good day. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Who will not give any information? What information are they seeking? Have they called the college in Belize to confirm it exists and that the student they are assisting is actually enrolled?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My inlaws will not tell us what bank they are sending money through. All we know is the bank is in New York. My father in law tells us we are paranoid and all is well and that's all we need to know. I know we should trust that and move on and it's their money, but my husband and I have a bad feeling and asked they not send any more money.
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.

Without an appointment as a guardian or conservator your options are extremely limited. Without any further information or cooperation from your inlaws, there is not much you can legally do other than hire a private investigator to see if they can uncover some of the details and trace the payments..

Otherwise, a legally competent adult is allowed to spend or give their money away however they want. The circumstances you describe certainly have an appearance of impropriety, but there is not much you can do about it, unless you have grounds to declare your father legally incompetent.

Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.