Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer.
26798026

Recd letter from PCH DATED JUNE 11, 2016 STATING THAT I WAS

Customer Question

recd letter from PCH DATED JUNE 11, 2016 STATING THAT I WAS A 2ND PLACE WINNER IN A 100 MILLION DOLLAR SUPEER CASH GIVAWAY PROMOTION SPONSORED BY READERS DIGEST, MEGA MILLIONS AND MULTI-STATE LOTTERY ASSOCIATION
TOTAL AMOUNT TO BE CLAIMED FOR YOUR WINNINGS IS FIVE HUNDRED FIFTY THOUSAND US($550.000)
PUBLISHERS CLEARING HOUSE HAS MADE ALL NECESSARY ARRANGEMENTS IN ORDER FOR YOU TO RECEIVE YOUR PRIZE. ENCLOSED IN THIS LETTER IS A CHECK OF $7,897.00 TO COVER INSURANCE AND ATTORNEY FEES.
CLAIMS MANAGER:
VICTOR WILLIAMS TEL# *****
AS REQUIRED BY FEDERAL AND STATE LAWS, YOUR SECURITY CODE AND PRIZE INFORMATION MUST BE KEPT STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL WHICH MEANS, YOU ARE PRECLUDED FROM DISCUSSING YOUR WIN WITH THIRD PARTIES. THIS IS TO REDUCE RISKS OF UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO CLAIMS INFORMATION
QUESTION:...IS THIS A SCAM OR IS IT REALLY TRUE?????????????????
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

This is absolutely a scam. PCH ONLY notifies winners via the Prize Patrol van you may have seen on TV. So many scam artists have capitalized on the PCH name that they've posted warnings all over their website.

http://info.pch.com/consumer-information/tips-a-warning-signs

http://info.pch.com/consumer-information/fraud-protection

http://blog.pch.com/blog/2014/02/25/beware-of-publishers-clearing-house-scams/

There is no state or federal law that prohibits telling people that you've won a prize. Since winners are only notified via the information they provided when they enter, there is little risk of false claims being made - someone would need a false ID in your name. And you never ever ever ever EVER have to pay anyone to give you money. If it were necessary to purchase insurance to cover a check, that would be paid for by the company as part of their overhead before they decide how much money to award as a prize. The same is true of attorney's fees.

Do not send them any money, and do not reply to that message. Doing so just puts you on their radar - they'll start sending you more and more scam offers, each sounding more real than the last.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Did you have any other questions about this?