Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

I received a email scam from AGL Energy and unfortunately

Customer Question

i received a email scam from AGL Energy and unfortunately opened it before I realized it was a scam and clicked on the links. Can this virus access my personal information?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 4 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. Should you wish email or phone support, let me know and the site can arrange that. Are you online now?

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 4 months ago.

It's not possible for me to predict if the link you clicked on contained malware and, if so, what kind of malware it contained. However, much malware is of the spyware variety where it eventually infects your computer and allows the people who planted the spyware to log your keystrokes and gain access to your account. You therefore would want to take precautions against identity theft.

Just running your anti-virus software won't necessarily solve the problem as some malware can override your computer's anti-virus protection. You can take your computer to a local reliable tech service and ask them to debug your computer. After they have done that, you would want to change your various passwords and PIN numbers. That would keep you safe.

If you are tech-savvy, you could post a question here to our computer techs and have them walk you through your own debugging. JustAnswer's computer techs have been verified by an independent third party company and are who and what they say they are. Then change the passwords and PINs as indicated.

What you should NOT do is to grant remote access to any company you haven't dealt with before and/or checked out thoroughly. Many so-called tech companies claim to be affiliated with Microsoft and are looking only to gain entry into your computer to hack into your accounts. Avoid the companies that plant pop-ups on your computer claiming your computer is infected. That too is a scam.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 4 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.