Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.

I have an outfit claiming I have a grant associated with the

Customer Question

I have an outfit claiming I have a grant associated with the American Recovery and Investment act for an amount of $8500. I have not applied for this grant and there is a $245 registration fee which they claim is reimbursed. I'm suspicious that this is a scam to get the $245.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Yes, this is a standard advance fee scam. Grants are not randomly awarded to the population at large. They are awarded following what is usually a very lengthy and detailed application process, generally to fund endeavors determined to be in the greater public interest, such as solar energy, education or cancer research. Moreover, it is NEVER necessary to pay a dime in order to receive a grant. Why would it be? the government is giving you money. Any fees they incur in that process would be funded by them as well.

In the next days or weeks, be on the look out for similar "too good to be true" loan solicitations, "sweepstakes" winnings, and similar windfall type offers. These will be further scams perpetrated by the same individual contacting you now under a different guise. Scammers love to double back on potential victims like this with "followup scams" in the hope that, though they couldn't trick you the first time, they will trick you the next.

In the mean time, you would be wise to immediately cease further contact with this scammer and report the matter to the local police and FBI field office. You can locate your local FBI field office here.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.