RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in criminal and various other areas of law.
18284290

I think ive just been scammed I applied loan. the next day I

Customer Question

I think ive just been scammed I applied for a loan. the next day I received a call telling me I was approved for 10,000 at $305 a month but just needed a voucher proof from a walgreens from a gift card iTunes and to put $300 into it and then my loan would go thru. now that they received that they want me to do another one for $489 I asked for my $300 back and they said no that once I do another itune card for $489 they will deposit money into my account.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Unfortunately, yes, you're right, you've been scammed. No real lender is going to have you do something like put money onto a gift card as part of the loan process. But scammers like using gift cards and things like wire transfers because it is difficult (if not impossible) to track. Usually when we're talking about scammers (and we get A LOT of scam victims just on this site from a variety of online and other scams) the criminals are overseas, outside the jurisdiction of the FBI and other authorities in the United States.

Regrettably, that also means that realistically, you're not likely to find these people or recover your money. You can report the scam to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC.gov) and to the International Crime Complaint Center, a joint task force between the FBI and foreign authorities who try to track down scammers overseas and shut them down (IC3.gov).

You may also want to speak to your accountant or tax advisor about claiming the loss on your taxes next year (since the law does allow you to take it as a deduction in some cases). I realize it's not the same as getting the money back, but sadly, I've never known a single scam victim to recover their money.

Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars,as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating.Thank you!