Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.

I received a letter from Central Bank of Spain unclaimed

Customer Question

I received a letter from Central Bank of Spain for an unclaimed lottery winning. I had bought some sweepstakes from previous years and advised me that time that I won. I worked on this to claim my winning in the past. But unfortunately, to no avail and thought it was a scam. I stopped on it. Now I received this letter telling me that they are ready to transfer my winning fund into my bank account or make a direct home delivery of a cashiers check. The Central Bank of Spain wanted me to contact them with the payment options I prefer with the following information for the processing of my winning payment: International passport, driver's license or Birth Certificate for identification. Or, I can identify myself by calling them with the phone number they provided on their letter. Please, can you let me know, if this is a scam or legitimate. Thank you.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

This is absolutely a scam. International lotteries are illegal in the United States, so any notice you receive regarding lottery winnings in a foreign country would not be legitimate. The most telling thing, though, is that no real lottery would EVER ask you to send a dime to get your winnings. In a real lottery, your fees and taxes would simply be deducted from the massive sum of money you have already won. As soon as you are told you need to send money in order to get money like this, you can be assured you are dealing with a scam situation.

In the next days or weeks, be on the look out for similar "too good to be true" loan solicitations, "sweepstakes" winnings, and similar windfall type offers. These will be further scams perpetrated by the same individual contacting you now under a different guise. Scammers love to double back on potential victims like this with "followup scams" in the hope that, though they couldn't trick you the first time, they will trick you the next.

In the mean time, you would be wise to immediately cease further contact with this scammer and report the matter to the local police and FBI field office. You can locate your local FBI field office here.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Was there anything else I can do for you?

Can you please let me know if you are receiving my messages? I ask because I have not heard back from you and this question is still open. Please kindly let me know.....