Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

A man named from Tech Experts took over control of my

Customer Question

A man named ***** ***** from Tech Experts took over control of my computer after I told him to stop.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 5 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. Should you wish email or phone support, let me know and the site can arrange that. Are you online now?

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 5 months ago.

The issue here is whether or not you need to take precautions against identity theft. Giving someone remote access is dangerous because they can get your account information and steal money from you.

If you gave this person remote access because you saw a pop up message that your computer was infected or because you received a cold call from someone saying they were working with Microsoft, This is a well-known computer scam and you will need to take precautions against identity theft.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 5 months ago.

If you've been scammed, here's how the scam works:

Here's how the scam works:

You get a cold call from a supposed computer tech company, usually, but not always claiming to be associated with Microsoft/Windows or some other important company and telling you that your computer has bugs which they can repair for you.

Many of these calls actually originate from overseas, and the caller may have a heavy accent. What these folks want to do is to is to get remote access and/or to install malware which would allow them to hack into your computer, phish for passwords, get into your accounts and rob you blind.

If you gave these people remote access or if you installed software that they gave you, you need to take your computer to a local tech that you can see for yourself and trust and have him debug your computer. Or, if you're technically savvy, you can post a question in our computer section where one of our verified computer technician can walk you through the debugging.

When you are through, change all of your PIN numbers and passwords that you use online.

If you paid them by credit card, call your credit card carrier, cancel your credit card and open up a new one. Then take all precautions against identity theft.

Tell your credit card company you want to do a chargeback on the payment you made, because they are not legitimate computer technicians.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 5 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.