Nick-FraudExaminer
Nick-FraudExaminer, Fraud/Investigations/Financial Analysis
Experience:  Fraud Investigations
93685840

Did I really just win 3.8 million and a Jeep Cherokee as a

Customer Question

Did I really just win 3.8 million and a Jeep Cherokee as a 2nd place winner in the annual drawing for the state of Idaho? Someone named David Perterbeck has called me and I have also talked to Victor Chambers at Brinks and they want 5% service charge ($425.95) to the prizes. They want a Walmart money gram made out to Melody Hennessy in Forrest Hills, Ca,
Thank You in advance for your help.
Donna Boyer
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Nick-FraudExaminer replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am the Certified Fraud Examiner who will be assisting you today.

I'm reviewing your question now, working on a reply, and I'll be back shortly with your answer. Thanks for your patience!

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone at any time, please let me know and I can make that happen.

Hello again, I am sorry to report this but unfortunately this is a common scam. It is known as an "advance fee lottery scam"

Here is how it works:

Someone contacts you out of the blue and claims you are the lucky winner of the lottery. You don't recall ever purchasing a lottery ticket or entering this lottery. However, the person contacting you sounds very convincing and you think maybe I entered this contest but forgot about it and finally I have hit it big! The fee that they want you to pay sounds like something that is reasonable and so you think well let me give this is shot. This is exactly what the scammers want you to think but this is a FRAUD. There are no real lottery winnings waiting for you and there is no Jeep Cherokee waiting for you.

The truth is that lottery winners are not randomly chosen from the general population. In order to win a state lottery (such as the state of Idaho), you must have purchased a lottery ticket. Therefore, if you don't remember having recently purchased a lottery ticket, there is no possible way it could be legitimate.

The biggest red flag here is that no real state lottery ever requires you to pay ANY money up front to claim your prize. Any upfront taxes or processing charges would simply be deducted from your large winnings that have already won. It's never necessary to pay money to get money like this. Another red flag is that they are asking you to send the money using Moneygram, an unregulated a wire transfer service and to a specific person. No state lotteries ever ask for any money to be sent using Moneygram to claim your winnings. A real state lottery would ask you to appear in person and show them the winning lottery ticket so they can verify you are in fact the winner.

Therefore, I recommend that you DO NOT SEND THEM ANY MONEY.

I recommend that you immediately cease further contact with this scammer and report the matter to the local police and the local FBI office in your state. You can locate your local FBI office using this link: https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field

I hope this answer has helped you and I truly wish you the best of luck. If you do have any additional questions, feel free to ask me for clarification and I will be happy to answer at no additional cost.

Please remember that I only receive credit for answering your question when you issue a POSITIVE RATING using the TOP THREE HAPPY FACES OR STARS and then SUBMIT. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to give you the most honest and accurate answer; I kindly ask that you please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating. Even after you rate me, you can still ask follow up questions at no additional cost.

Good evening, I am checking in to make sure that you were able to view the response that I prepared for you yesterday. Please let me know if you need any further information or additional clarification.

My main goal is to make sure that you are fully satisfied with your answer, is there anything else I can help you with?