Ben Jones
Ben Jones, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer with fraud examination experience

I received a message from Cisco Registered Envelope Service,

Customer Question

I received a message from Cisco Registered Envelope Service, claiming connection to VOYA Financial and asking many personal questions (that I answered). I have since called VOYA and they have no knowledge of C.R.E.S.
Are they for real or a scam
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Nick-FraudExaminer replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am the Certified Fraud Examiner who will be assisting you today.

I'm reviewing your question now, working on a reply, and I'll be back shortly with your answer. Thanks for your patience!

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone at any time, please let me know and I can make that happen.

Hello again, I can confirm that in fact Cisco Registered Envelope Service (CRES) is a legitimate service provided by Cisco.

CRES is a service used by companies to secure their email communications. Cisco's CRES service works by allowing businesses to send encrypted messages using registered envelopes. The registered envelope is an encrypted email which may also be password-protected. If the envelope is password-protected, it can only be opened by the intended recipients who must provide the correct password ***** order to open the email.

Now with that being said, it seems suspicious to me that someone from Cisco would call you and ask personal questions. Representatives from Cisco's CRES may call companies at the corporate level to sell their IT services but I don't see why they would have any business calling consumers personally.

It sounds like these may be scammers who are impersonating themselves as being from Cisco. Can you briefly explain what they asked you for during this conversation so I can tell you if it sounds like some kind of scam?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did not receive a phone call, just an email requesting I register before I received the certified envelope. So I registered with many personal questions, etc. Can I email the copies of the emails I received?

I am trying to conduct a live phone call with you but the payment is not going through. Please contact JustAnswer customer service to get this resolved so we can move forward.

Were you able to speak to Customer service to find out what is the issue with your payment?

Otherwise please proceed to answer the last question I asked so I can finish answering your question. I would like to earn your positive rating.