Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.

I have large sum of money in nigeria. To transferr to us

Customer Question

I have large sum of money in nigeria. To transferr to us they want 2000 and are going to send a atm card they say can be used to get money out.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

Also, what is the source of this "money in Nigeria"?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well my girlfriends father was a contractor enginerr her and ive knoww each 7 months on line. Her dad died on several occansions ive sent her money in the will states there is 1.2 million in an account there. Ive paid the lawyer she is saying that if i send 2000 that the nank will send me a debt card that once i activate i can pull funds from it. I read nigrria has instituted a big time debt system. Im very leary its a scam. I appreciate your thoughts and opinion. God bless
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have asked her to have the banker fill out the paper on my name along with phone number and email and fax to me monday

I hate to give absolute answers but in this case there is a 99.9% chance it is a scam.

The general rule is that anytime someone demands money up front so you can get money then it's the #1 sign it's a scam.

Nigeria is one of the top two or three places from which scams originate now but in addition to that the "someone died and to inherit you have to send money" is the most common scam for the last ten years.

Please ask any additional questions you have in this thread. I'll be glad to ask answer any questions you have but this is clearly someone trying to take money from you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Damn thats what i thought i have all her documents she was born in puoto rica. Is there anything i can do to locate her. Ill take my money out of hide haha but who do i report this to is there an agency for scams. Thanks sir

There is nothing you can do that is likely to really locate her. These people use VOIP numbers and they are impossible to trace.

As far as reporting, you can go to and file a complaint. That is an agency composed of other federal agencies that is specifically targeting internet crime.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of something else.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well sir i thank you. What is vop sorry just wondering ive got address on a unkle aunt cousin. Im a hunter snd i am going to die trying to find her. But like you said tough. Damn im stupid thanks may god bless you and yours amen

VOIP is "Voice Over Internet Protocol". Basically they make the call and have a phone number that runs through their computer and so can't be traced that way.

No, you're not stupid. Most people contact us after they have already sent all of the money, at least you saved yourself from the last part!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks going to give good marks you earned it i alpreciate your total honesty. Ive got to write the address to complain. Darn im a christian but my blood is boiling like in old days. I paid a lawyer 55000 once but didnt do time thank Jesus. A bad boy

You're very welcome and I understand why you're mad. I get three or four phone calls a day from some Indian pharmacy spam callers and if I could get my hands on them I'd strangle them and it hasn't even cost me any money!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sir i hear the hunt begins im really a good hunter for real lord if i catch up im six two 245 and mean smile

Good luck on catching them! I wish you would!