Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Yesterday I was notified that i have been select to win 2.5

Customer Question

yesterday I was notified that i have been select to win 2.5 million dollars and a new mercedes benz,they asked for 2,500 dollars to cover a 1 % sales tax(at wich time i told them that i was unable to do this,and so they claim to have sent me a check for 3,000 to cover this tax.Today they are asking for 795.00 dollars to cover a registration fee.Is this legit?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 6 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. Should you wish email or phone support, let me know and the site can arrange that. Are you online now?

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 6 months ago.

NO!!! This is not legit.

This is a very well known scam. Do not send them any money. Do not speak to them any further.

Scammers want you to believe that you can be picked out of thin air and become a contest winner. You can't. You must always enter a contest to win it.

Lottery winners are paid out of the proceeds of lottery tickets. If you don't buy your ticket you can't win, and you must present a valid ticket to claim your winnings. US lottery tickets cannot be sold on line. It's against Federal law. You must buy them in person from agents at specially designated locations.

Sweepstakes winners must complete an entry form and sign up for the contest. Sweepstakes also require you to submit your half of the entry form as proof before you can claim your prize. Your half of the form matches the information the company has on the other half.

Finally, when you win a real contest, the money already belongs to you. So you NEVER have to pay anything up front to receive something that's already yours. In any legitimate contest, if there were indeed any transfer expenses, the contest would simply deduct it from your money which they already have and just give you a check for the rest.

The up front fee is the #1 sign of a contest scam. You know you don't pay the IRS by Western Union. And you also know that you don't pay taxes on money that you don't yet have. You pay taxes on actual INCOME.

I hope you haven't sent off any money to these thieves. If you have paid these folks anything, consider it gone and consider yourself the victim of a crime. If you can find out who these people really are and where, you can sue them or seek to have them prosecuted, but finding them will be a job for law enforcement or a private investigator.

Since they claim to be a US contest, report them to the FBI online at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at IC3.gov, whether you've sent them money or not .