Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

They promised to fix my computer total cost $849.99 and

Customer Question

They promised to fix my computer total cost $849.99 and after some time I get charged again for the same problems
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 4 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. Should you wish email or phone support, let me know and the site can arrange that. Are you online now?

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 4 months ago.

Did this company make unsolicited contact with you, and did they tell you that they work with Microsoft? If so, you have fallen for a very popular Computer tech scam.

Here's how the scam goes: You get a cold call, unsolicited email or computer pop-up from a supposed computer tech company, usually, but not always claiming to be associated with Microsoft/Windows or some other important company and telling you that your computer has bugs which they can repair for you.

Many of these calls actually originate from overseas, especially India, and the caller may have a heavy accent. What these folks are looking to do is to is to get remote access and/or to install malware which would allow them to hack into your computer, phish for passwords, get into your accounts and rob you blind. Additionally, they'll get your credit card number and may commit further identity theft.

Allowing anyone or any company into your computer or downloading their software without fully vetting their reputation first is a good way to get hacked and to give an unscrupulous person access to all of your accounts. So if you granted these folks remote access or installed programs that they gave you, first and foremost you need to take precautions against identity theft.

You need to take your computer to a local reputable computer tech shop and get your computer debugged. If you're computer savvy, you can post a question in our computer category here on justanswer, and a verified computer technician can walk you through the debugging. Otherwise, you should do this in person locally. Just running her anti-virus program will not be enough to prevent possible hacking, because malware can override these programs.

Once the computer is debugged, you should change all your PIN numbers and passwords. You should also monitor your accounts carefully to look for unauthorized use of your bank account or credit cards. If you paid this company via credit or debit card, you ought to report that card to your card carrier as being compromised, close it and get yourself a new one.

As to the double billing, there no question that you deserve a refund and you do have legal rights and remedies. If you can find where this company really is, you can sue them in small claims court, where you can handle this yourself without even having to pay legal fees.

But finding them may be a matter for law enforcement. So, you should report the company to the Better Business Bureau,your State Attorney General, and the Federal Trade Commission. These agencies protect your consumer rights and can assist you for free. If they can't find the company to be of help, then report the scam as a crime to your police and to the FBI online at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at

In that way, even if the police can't find the company, your unreimbursed losses as a crime victim are tax deductible, and you can get something back in the form of a deduction when you file your 2106 taxes.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 4 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.