Ely, Consultant
Experience:  Attorney in law with focus on consumer protection
7286322

I received a call stating that there was an audit of my

Customer Question

I received a call stating that there was an audit of my taxes from 2008 - 2013 I was told topay 1,000 dollars or someone will come by and take me to jail is this legit pls help thank you
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Likely not. First of all, no audit begins with a telephone call. An audit begins with a certified letter most of the time, advising you that there is an audit and providing you with a list of your rights. This is true both on federal and state level. Second, the audit itself takes months. Threatening jail unless one pays immediately is simply NOT how this works. It sounds like you are being scammed - see HERE.

If you give me the telephone number of the person that called, I can confirm whether this is indeed a scam or not, although it sounds like it is already.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.