Loren, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney/Hearing Officer

A man said I won 800,000 yesterday, but I have to pay taxes

Customer Question

a man said I won 800,000 yesterday, but I have to pay taxes on it before I receive the lottery amount. My question is, do I have to pay taxes before I get the lottery money or do I pay the taxes on the money when tax time arrives. It sounds like a scam. The man said he would put me on his checking account so I wouldn't have to pay the taxes out of my account, I would just have to pay him back after he pays the taxes. However, I don't want to give anyone my private social security number, or any other private things. What should I do?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney and former asst prosecutor. I look forward to answering your question.As you know, something which is too good to be true is, generally, not. Also, I am sure you suspect this is one of those times. Unfortunately, I am absolutely sure that there is no prize waiting for you from these people.This is positively a scam. It is known as an "Advance Fee Scam".Just remember:1. You can not win a sweepstakes or lottery you did not enter.2. No legitimate sweepstakes asks winners to pay upfront to release the winnings.3. If they were genuinely holding money belonging to you should be able to tell them to just deduct the taxes, insurance, courier fee (all red flags, by the way) and send you a net check.4. The IRS collects taxes, not private sweepstakes companies.Do not send any money or otherwise respond. This person is a criminal who is trying to steal from you.Here is an online warning from the FTC:
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.