Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.

I received a call from(###) ###-####telling me I was

Customer Question

I received a call from(###) ###-####telling me I was involved in an IRS lawsuit. I was instructed not to tell anyone about the lawsuit. They stated I had a balance of 3000 dollars.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. This is a scam being perpetrated by people posing as the IRS. The phone number from which you received this call has already been widely reported as engaging in this scam, as you can see here. The IRS will never file a lawsuit against you without notifying you in advance first. In virtually all cases, you'd be audited before a lawsuit was ever filed. In order for a lawsuit to proceed against you, you would need to be personally "served" the papers, meaning they would need to be physically handed to you. People are not notified of lawsuits by phone, and people are never told that they "can't tell anyone" about the lawsuit. That is completely absurd. You need to ignore any further efforts that these scammers may make to contact you. They are just trying to scare you into sending them money. I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.* Disclaimer *Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.