How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Zoey_JD Your Own Question

Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Category: Fraud Examiner
Satisfied Customers: 24007
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Fraud Examiner Question Here...
Zoey_JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We had a scam run on us regarding a Mexican rental by

Customer Question

we had a scam run on us regarding a Mexican rental by supposedly US citizen with a California and a Penn phone number. We are Canadian and want to know if any recourse. We cancelled after paying down payment with full cancellation written into contract
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 8 months ago.
Hello, While you'd have legal recourse, being able to exercise your option to sue or to have your scammer prosecuted would require your being able to find him first so that you could serve him with notice of a civil suit or get him arrested. Do you know who and where this person actually is? If so, one option would be to report him to the FBI at, which is their Internet Crime Complaint Center and to report it to the police in the jurisdiction where your scammer does business. Alternatively, you could hire a civil litigator in that community and sue him for fraud/breach of contract and the return of your money. If finding him becomes a matter for law enforcement, then reporting him to the police and FBI is all you can do unless you wish to retain the service of a private investigator.
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 8 months ago.
Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.