Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

I've been scammed by a "friend" on Facebook. He asked for $11,000

Customer Question

I've been scammed by a "friend" on Facebook. He asked for $11,000 because he was short of money on his job. I gave it to him in the form of a cashier check. We had been communicating for a month. I sent the check return receipt requested and have a signature and address. The name was not the same as the man that requested the money. What do I do?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 5 months ago.
Hello,If you can find out who your scammer really is, you can have him prosecuted or you can sue him for the $11,000 in civil court. Unfortunately, romance scammers are professional thieves who know how to cover their tracks and literally disappear into cyberspace, just like this one has done, by using multiple names and other phony contact information. That means, this is a job for law enforcement and/or, if you have the means, for a private investigator, because only if someone can find this creep and bring him to justice do you have a legal remedy. Since most scammers prey on victims from other countries and launder their money through a couple of layers before it's sent on to them (the address of someone else who requested the money is probably, like you, just a victim of the same scammer), the odds of your recovery are low. Still, you do have the name and address of someone who received that check and that's a starting point. So you want to report the crime to the police and give them the name and address of the person that received the check. Tell them you've been scammed and you want charges pressed. Also report the crime to the FBI online at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at In this way, even in the worst case scenario, if nobody can find your scammer, your losses as the victim of a crime are tax deductible. So you would be able to recover at least some of your money in the form of a deduction when you file your 2016 taxes.
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 5 months ago.
Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.