Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Is US TECHGEKS a legitimate company?

Customer Question

Is US TECHGEKS a legitimate company?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 6 months ago.

Are you spelling that correctly? Do you have a website or a snail mail address for the site.

Did they contact you out of the blue and claim to be a Microsoft partner, warning you that your computer was infected? If so, that's a very common scam, as Microsoft has no knowledge whatsoever about what is inside your computer. They just design an operating system.

Scammers make claims like this to get remote access to your computer. So if that's what they told you and you let them inside your computer, you need to get your computer debugged and to change your PIN numbers and passwords or you could end up a victim of identity theft.

If that's not what happened and how you got involved with these folks, please reply here on this question thread and tell me more about the company.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I spelled the company game incorrectly. It should be GEEKS.
They contacted my wife by phone, telling her she had 8,000 errors in her computer which they could remove. They gave her a choice of lengths of service periods in months. She sent them $149 by credit card for 8 months service, which they indicated was removing Viruses, Errors and generally speeding up operational time. She found out later that they were located in India. They are now asking her to scan a document containing her written signature. On my advice, she is not doing that (I fear it is possible to duplicate her signature electronlcally).
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 6 months ago.

Thank you.

This is a likely scam, and just as I mentioned your real concern should be identity theft.

If this is the US Tech Geeks at http://ustechgeeks.us/, they only registered their domain name in August of 2015, and the website is going to disappear this August. They claim to be located in New York State, but according the the corporate register of the New York Secretary of State, there is no company by that name doing business in New York State.

Get your computer to a live techician as soon as you can. Choose one in your community with a good reputation. Let him inspect your computer for malware and remove any spyware. Otherwise, these folks may be logging your keystrokes and can be able to hack your computer, get into your accounts and steal from your bank and credit accounts.

Don't just run your anti-virus software, because some spyware can override that. Once you're done with this, change all of your computer passwords and PIN numbers, and you should be safe.

If you paid this company initially via credit card, call your card carrier and let them know that your card number might be compromised. Close that account and have them open a new one.

Report the scam to your police, to the FBI at IC3.gov and to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 6 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.