Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.

E-mail from someone who says she is Maria Herrera 6/15 Lotto

Customer Question

E-mail from someone who says she is Maria Herrera 6/15 Lotto winner from Arizona's Lottery; she's donating 3.5 M euros from her winnings to help needy people. I work in a higher than average poverty county in SWPA in Community Health Center--that's where she (if real) got my name??? Is this a scam? Asking for name, address, TC # ***** can be obtained in local phone book. No other ID info yet... Should I report this to someone? Or is this real?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. This is a common scam that is going around. While the lottery winner is in fact real, you are simply dealing with an imposter trying to capitalize off of the legitimate story. Even the nicest lottery winners in the world do not give away millions of dollars to strangers on the internet. What you are being set up for is called an advance fee scam. These scams have endless variations, but the basic idea is to promise the victim a large sum of money but then require the victim to send money up front to collect it. You don't want to have anything to do with this. Entertaining this one scam solicitation will mean that you will likely get many more in the future, as scammers will see you as a high probability victim and keep contacting you under different guises. You can report this scam to IC3, which is a special division of the FBI that investigates cyber crime. I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.* Disclaimer *Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.