Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I receive a notice from a DBA claim of a sealed packet

Customer Question

I receive a notice from a DBA for a claim of a sealed packet and I need to send $ 20. And the letter both back who is these people and way do they need my money frist
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 6 months ago.
Hello, If you don't know who the letter is from or anything about a sealed packet, this is likely going to be some kind of a scam. By sending the $20, you are telling whoever sent you the message that their message has found a target. Then they will come back to you in some other way and take you for a much greater amount of money. How did you receive the notice? What's the name of the sender or company? Is there a web address or a snail mail addres for the DBA? What does the notice say? Can you copy and paste it with your reply to this question thread, or upload a scanning of it? With the answer to the questions I can give you a less general answer. But paying money up front to get something that's already supposed to be yours and sending that money to people you've never heard of has all the signs of a fraud.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It post card ask me to fold and mail back to NEW FUNDS DIVISION P.O.BOX610, Pittsfield ma, 01202 with a release code.it say my packet identified by unique release code ufc2002 will be scheduled and it say a free bonus with order.easy way to increase your social security check
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the reply. At best you'd be paying for some sort of financial information which will cost you $20 and probably get you a subscription for magazines or newsletters which you'll have to keep paying and which you'll have difficulty cancelling because you can't find the company. At worse this is an out and out scam. This so called business has a generic name. It has no address other than a post office box. And it won't even tell you what you're paying for, except that is is a packet put aside for you. This is not from Social Security. There's nothing official about this. In this day and age when scam has been raised to an art form, it is not a good idea to send money -- even only $20 -- to a company that doesn't tell you enough about itself for you to do your due diligence and figure out whether they are legit. There was a New Fund Division in Massachusetts that the Better Business was aware of. The BBB has put an alert on their review of the business to warn customers that the company is out of business. Avoid. Whatever they are trying to sell you is guaranteed to ultimately cost you more than it makes you.
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 6 months ago.
Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.