Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

Sorry my computer took a blip and i lost the message , what

Customer Question

Sorry my computer took a blip and i lost the message , what do you need to know
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I hope you did not send these people any money and that you also didn't give these people enough personal identifying information about yourself that they can commit identity theft. They are scammers. There is no such agency as the Consumer Fraud Department. It sounds official, but it's not. There is no such thing as a legitimate international lottery or sweepstakes. They are all unlawful because of variations in law among countries, which make them impossible. You would NEVER have to deal with Costa Rica to win an American contest. Scammers want you to believe that you can be picked out of thin air and become a contest winner. You can't. You must always enter a contest to win it. Lottery winners are paid out of the proceeds of lottery tickets. If you don''t buy your ticket you can't win and you must present a valid ticket to claim your winnings. US lottery tickets cannot be sold on line. YOu must buy them in person from agents at specially designated locations. Sweepstakes winners must complete an entry form and sign up for the contest. They also require you to submit your half of the entry form as proof before you can claim your prize. Finally, when you win a real contest, the money already belongs to you. So you NEVER have to pay anything up front to receive something that's already yours. In any legitimate contest, if there were indeed any transfer expenses, the contest would simply deduct it from your money which they already have and just give you a check for the rest. The up front fee is the #1 sign of a contest scam. If you have paid these folks any money, consider it gone and consider yourself the victim of a crime. If you can find out who these people really are and where, you can sue them or seek to have them prosecuted, but finding them will be a job for law enforcement or a private investigator. Since they claim to be a US lottery, report them to the FBI online at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 5 months ago.
Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.