Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.
60109343

A Santa Clara apartment rental was on Craigslist-the owner

Customer Question

A Santa Clara apartment rental was on Craigslist-the owner is reportedly staying in Texas for illness. She'd FedEx keys and rental agreement in exchange for cashiers check deposted in account. After I did, she wanted an extra $300 moneygram for refundable maintenance fee. Now, shes says FedEx needs $200 for insurance of documents, and wants me to moneygram it to her before she can have keys mailed. Fed Ex says only international packages cost much extra, but $70 max, not $200. I have email evidence of agreements we made, and money sent, but these hidden additional costs before keys are mailed have me suspicious. Is this a scam
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. Unfortunately, you have encountered a classic apartment rental scam. This scammer is not the owner of the property you are trying to rent and this entire situation was created for the purpose of getting you to send money. As a general matter, you should never send money via Money Gram of Western Union to someone that you do not personally know and trust. Payments by such methods are non-refundable and almost impossible to trace. It is, of course, for these very reasons that payment by such means are the preferred methods of payments of scammers. You should report this as a crime to your local police department as soon as possible. Since this scam occurred through use of the internet across state lines, you can also report it to IC3, which is a special division of the FBI that handles internet crime. See here. I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.