Ely, Consultant
Experience:  Attorney in law with focus on consumer protection
7286322

I have been scammed three times and want to know how these

Customer Question

I have been scammed three times and want to know how these guys find me? I have not fallen for their bull but get invested mentally and am hurt every time. I know it is my fault but why and how do they find me to get things started in the first place. Should I become a hermit? I want a real relationship, I know go to church. Just needed to vent. But is there a way I can find out if this is the same guy who just won't give up on trying to get me?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am sorry to hear about this situation. Here is how they find you: Once you are scammed once, then the scammer will use ALTERNATE IDENTITIES TO ATTEMPT TO SCAM YOU AGAIN. So it is very likely these secondary and tertiary scammers are the same scammer or an accomplice of theirs. In addition, if you have given them your email or telephone number, they will attempt to scam you directly, skipping dating sites and social media. Here is how to minimize your chances of a scam again: -change your number if you have been getting random calls from scammers/unknown people-change your email if you have been getting random emails from strangers-check your "friends" lists on all social media accounts such as Facebook, and DELETE ANYONE YOU DO NOT KNOW-read THIS and implement it if approached by new people online.Finally, take a break from online dating for a while, deleting your profiles so as to deter any scammers for a while. If you open up any again, use different usernames. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.