Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Can you tell me if this man is david Benedict

Customer Question

***************
can you tell me if this man is david Benedict or if this picture has been used in scam
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 7 months ago.
Hello, A reverse search of the photo with photo recognition software fails to turn up any matches. That does not mean this person is legitimate. It only means that this photo has not been downloaded from the web or reported as being affiiiated with scam activity. As for the name, it is a common one. It's not possible to tell from just a name, or even from a photo, whether someone is a scammer. That's because that can be falsified. This could be anyone's picture and anyone's name. You tell a scammer by how the course of the relationship goes, because no matter who and where he says he is, all romance scams proceed along very similar lines. There's a rush into romance so dizzyingly fast that you get swept off of your feet. Then suddenly, there's a money request. Once the talk of love turns to money, this is ALWAYS a scam. Asking for money from a stranger -- which is all you are despite his declarations of love, until you actually meet, date on real time and establish an in person committed relationship -- is not something any real person does. You would know that if some stranger came up to you on the street, told you how much he loved you and asked you for thousands of dollars. It's really no different on the web. It just feels like it is. I know you likely want to believe him. But if he comes on to you like the following, he's not going to be real: You meet a guy on a social networking or dating site and he sweeps you off of your feet. He is everything you always wanted in a man, and you can't believe your luck. Typically, but not always, he claims to be a widower with a son or a daughter. Usually, he claims to have his own business. Most frequently he claims to be an engineer, an architect or a contractor. Whatever his profession, however, before he can finally meet you he tells you he must travel abroad for work purposes, and he ends up supposedly in some country that's neither his nor yours. Once there, he suddenly turns into the world's unluckiest guy. He has the first of a series of emergencies for which only your money will do. There's equipment failure and he can't afford the repair. Customs is holding the products he ordered and he needs money to get them released. He has cash flow problems and he can't afford to pay he workers. He gets robbed of all of his documents and he can't leave until he pays his hotel bill. He or one of his family members gets ill and cannot get treatment or leave the hospital until you pay his bill. There are bunches of excuses like this. You can see them here. They are all lies and they are designed only to part you with your money. Of course, each time he gets money, he assures you that he will pay you back when he returns home. But he never gets an inch closer to the plane, and he never will. He is not who, what or where you think he is. You've been wiring money directly to a ring of thieves hiding behind the photo of an appealing man. You can reply with more details about him and I will try to see what I can find. However, if any of the above sounds familiar, you've met a romance scammer.
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 7 months ago.
Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.