Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

I have just received a letter saying I have...

Customer Question

I have just received a letter saying I have won $4,200,000.00 in a lottery. It want's me to contact a David Carlos Attorney at Law at 011 34 612 426 070 in Madr9d Spain. This looks like a scam to me. Any thoughts?
Lynn ****** (###) ###-####
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 5 months ago.
Hello, Yes, your instincts are correct. YOu're being scammed. Lottery winners are paid out of the proceeds of lottery ticket sales. If you didn't buy a ticket, you can never win a lottery. Also, in the US it's illegal to buy lottery tickets online. Lotteries are government run and you have to go to licensed vendors and buy your ticket in person. The only way you could ever win a Spanish lottery is if you bought your ticket in Spain and then had the winning numbers on your ticket. I'm sure you didn't do that. Cease any contact with these people. YOu haven't won anything and if you get back to them, they're going to ask you for money and personal information that they can use against you as well. Report the fraud to the FBI online at the Internet Crime Complaint Center at