Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.

I have been contacted by a person stating to be with the u

Customer Question

I have been contacted by a person stating to be with the u s gov accountability office saying his office works to pay out unclaimed sweepstake prizes. Since I had not claimed my second place winner, it had been sent to his office. Any chance it is legit?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. No, unfortunately there is no chance at all that this is legitimate. The U.S. government plays absolutely no role in sweepstakes distributions. Sweepstakes aren't even regulated on the federal level, they are regulated on the state level, so the idea that someone from a federal government office would be contacting you about a sweepstakes is a dead give away that you are dealing with a scam. If you allowed this to progress, you would be asked to send some sort of payment to collect your prize money (something that is never required by a legitimate sweepstakes, by the way). The scammer would then disappear with that and you of course would never see the price. In the next days or weeks, be on the look out for similar "too good to be true" loan solicitations, "sweepstakes" winnings, and similar windfall type offers. These will be further scams perpetrated by the same individual contacting you now under a different guise. Scammers love to double back on potential victims like this with "followup scams" in the hope that, though they couldn't trick you the first time, they will trick you the next.In the mean time, you would be wise to immediately cease further contact with this scammer and report the matter to the local police and FBI field office. You can locate your local FBI field office here. I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.* Disclaimer *Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.
Hello again,I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.Very best wishes.