Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I received a phone message from(###) ###-####saying it was

Customer Question

I received a phone message from(###) ###-####saying it was a last attempt by the IRS and that failure to respond could have serious consequences. I called back but no one answered. Is this a scam?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 7 months ago.
Hello, Yes, this is a very popular scam. It's especially effective this time of year when all of us are worried about our taxes. Don't call them back. Block their phone number, and don't worry about this. The IRS does not make phone calls. When the IRS really does audit you and determines that you really do owe money, you don't get a call or an email. You get a written notification from them via snail mail. The notice is on an official government form and includes the information you need to reply to them, so that you can show them that their calculations are in error and ask for a hearing. You will not get a phone call. If you are unwise enough to disregard the IRS letter, the IRS STILL WON'T call you. But eventually what will happen is that the IRS will levy your bank account and seize all of your assets. What they will not seize is you. Nobody is going to come to arrest you. The IRS is very aware of scams perpetrated in its name. Scams like this have been going around for a long time. You can see warnings from the IRS about audit and other types of scams here: http://www.irs.gov/uac/IRS-Warns-of-New-E-Mail-and-Telephone-Scams-Using-the-IRS-Name%3B-Advance-Payment-Scams-Starting The IRS tells you how they want you to handle this scam here on their website: http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/IRS-Warns-of-Pervasive-Telephone-Scam They recommend that you call the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration at 800*366*4484 and file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov. As you didn't respond by sending off any money, just blocking them from there is all you have to do.