CFEPro789, Certified Fraud Examiner
Experience:  Certified Fraud Examiner, Federal Investigator, MS in Accounting, BS Finance Minor Economics

I am corresponding with a person who calls himself Monroe C.

Customer Question

I am corresponding with a person who calls himself Monroe C. Allen, he says he is in Syria, I think he is a scam
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  CFEPro789 replied 6 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Can you please provide me some more details, is this a romantic relationship? How did you mean Mr. Allen? Has he asked you for anything yet? And how does he communicate with you?
I haven't seen anything in the databases on this name specifically which I just searched, however I can tell you that Syria is a trending area that people are saying they are from to conduct scams. If you are corresponding with someone from Syria, or that says they are from Syria, please do not send them any money, given them any personal information or details, or agree to meet them. I would be extremely skeptical based on the little information you have given me, it sounds like it may be a Nigerian 419 scam. Fraudsters will use the Syrian crisis to ask for money, saying that their family has no money, are refugees, and are in serious danger. They will often use an illness, or a sick child to further pull at your heart strings. Please do not fall for any of this. Under no circumstance send any money, if they are asking for money, any favors, or anything else aside from a conversation I would absolutely say this is a fraud. Here is some information in general on those types of frauds. After you review these, if you have any additional questions please let me know. Thank you for using just answer.