Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer.

Around late Oct or early Nov I received a pop add on my computer

Customer Question

Around late Oct or early Nov I received a pop add on my computer saying my computer had been compromised by someone or words to that effect.He took me through a procedure to get it working again.He said his name was Jamie***@******.*** paid him 249.99.on Chase Credit Card.The name on my statement for that amount was WILLSON SERVICES,LLC9044449068 FL.Had heard from again until Thurs 4/21 of last week he wanted to upgrade my computer.I was expecting a phone call and ended the call without up grading my computer. Ihave been uneasy since that first incident and today in my local newspaper an article on computer support scams sounds like what I went through.He may be legit but I still feel uneasy.He had a very heavy accent.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. There are two different ways this can work.Your computer is legitimately infected, and someone charges you way too much to get it fixed. They do this by paying to be at the top of Google search results so their ad comes up first. This is immoral, but as long as they're actually fixing your computer, it's not illegal. Generally, the credit card company won't reverse these charges because they were authorized.They're PUTTING the infection on your computer in the first place, then charging you to have it removed. That is a scam. And frequently, those people will put other harmful software on your computer so you'll have to call them to get it "fixed" again in the future - and pay more. In the first scenario, the only thing you can do is avoid sending more money to these people, because you can find someone to fix your computer at a much lower price elsewhere. In the second scenario, you should take your computer to a trusted technician who can scan it for virus and malicious software and remove anything these people put on your computer that shouldn't be there. And the only real way to know the difference is to have someone look at your computer to see what's on it. The phone number you provided has been associated with scams in the past. It's a good idea to have someone sweep the computer for you, just in case.