Ben Jones
Ben Jones, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer with fraud examination experience
29905560

My husband and I just got a call from the IRS stating that

Customer Question

My husband and I just got a call from the IRS stating that we are to receive a $9500 grant. In order to receive this grant we need to go to a CVS pharmacy and get an iPhone card and put $300 on that. Intern the IRS will put the $9500 on the card.Space the call came out of Washington state. Is this a scam?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. This is indeed a scam. Such types of scams, also known as ‘advance-fee fraud’ are unfortunately very common these days and many unsuspecting people fall for them. The 'government grant' scam is just another variation. The ways in which such scams operate are as follows:{C}· You are contacted, usually out of the blue and promised a Government grant.{C}· Before the grant materializes, you are asked to pay a sum of money for various reasons, commonly as a processing fee, administrative costs, etc. This is the advance-fee part of the scam and such payments are never required in the circumstances, or even by law.{C}· Tempted by the potential grant, you send the money in good faith. The usual request is for the money to be sent via Western Union, Moneygram or other dubious methods like outing credits on phone cards. These are the favoured payment platforms for fraudsters as it is extremely difficult to trace the recipients of such payments.{C}· Once the money has been sent, the fraudster usually vanishes and the grant never materializes. Some facts about such grants:{C}· The Government would not just contact people to offer them grants - you need to have applied for one first;{C}· The process is very complicated and detailed. You will never be offered one on the spot and most importantly - never have to pay any money in advance. DO NOT proceed any further with this. DO NOT send any information and certainly do not send money if asked to. Cease all contact with the other party and do not communicate any further with them. If you wish to report this you should contact your local State Attorney General. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.
Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.